LAX Rental EVs
Did you know LAX is starting construction on a billion-dollar rental car facility—billed as the largest in human history(!)—which makes hardly any provision for electric cars? This could lock LAX visitors into over a million fossil-fuelled car trips a year, making it even harder for LA to fix its smog and climate change problems.
To address this, Councilmembers Bonin and Koretz have introduced a motion to identify what additional power and equipment would be needed for LAX to reach 80% electric car rentals later. Adding these upgrades will be much cheaper if we plan ahead now. The motion just calls for a study, not actually spending money on those upgrades yet; that may seem unexciting, but it's a necessary and useful step forward.
This isn't a big and sexy motion—it's small, sensible, and something both liberals and conservatives can get behind—and being small, it might not get the attention it deserves. That's why we're asking you to support this motion, to keep it from falling through the cracks.
Old hands will already know the drill, but in case you haven't been through it before, here's how you can help:
- Download the printable fact sheet below
- Customize it as appropriate for your neighborhood council
- Get it on the agenda of the appropriate committee, and email email@example.com if you need any help, or just to let us know what's going on
- Shepherd it through committee and the board vote
- After it passes, find out who's going to actually file the CIS, and make sure they do
- Congratulate yourself for a job well done, and get ready to do it over again with the next motion that needs our help :-)
Good luck, and thank you! Every little step towards a smog-free, zero-carbon future counts.