CALL FOR LEADERS
- Do you know your neighbors well enough to knock on their door and ask for the proverbial “cup of sugar”?
- Do you wish there was more you could do to have an impact on climate change and conserve resources for the sake of your children or future generations?
- In an emergency, would your neighbors know what to do to help you? Would you know how to help them?
- Would you like to make your neighborhood safer and more livable?
The Neighborhood Council Sustainability Alliance is partnering with the City of Los Angeles and Empowerment Institute to launch a pilot program that brings people together to create the neighborhoods they want to live in.
Cool Blocks LA uses a proven neighbor-to-neighbor model that has helped thousands of people make their neighborhoods safer and healthier, prepare for disasters, save money, and lighten their environmental impact.
You can green your neighborhood, make it safer to walk in, or decide with your neighbors to do whatever is right for your area.
HOW IT WORKS
- Cool Blocks LA is a free, five-month, nine-meeting, action-based program.
- It is self-directed by a team of five to eight households on your block (defined as both sides of the street up to the corners, a cul-de-sac, or an apartment building).
- A meeting is hosted by a different team member in his or her home every two weeks with the support of a step-by-step guide.
- Each 90-minute to two-hour meeting focuses on a distinct topic connected to reducing your block's carbon footprint, adopting water stewardship practices, preparing for disasters, and improving the quality of life in your neighborhood.
- Every Cool Block Leader will receive full training, coaching, and support.
- The time required is approximately two to three hours a week for five months.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR COOL BLOCK LEADERS in the City of Los Angeles to engage their neighborhood blocks in this effort.
This is an opportunity to build a stronger community with your neighbors, expand or capitalize on your leadership skills, and improve the quality of life in your neighborhood.
Ready to learn more? Sign up below to receive Cool Blocks LA news.
Questions? Please contact us: NCSA@empowerla.org or 323 660-2780